5C Document Library
A list of helpful, informative documents on salmon conservation, 5C program information, and planning resources. All documents referenced on this website are listed here.
Five Counties Memorandum of Agreement. The program began with an MOU between the Boards of Supervisors of each 5C County which has been updated with the transfer of the Program to the Northwest California Resource Conservation & Development Council.
- “Effects of County Land Use Regulations and Management on Anadromous Salmonids and Their Habitats: Humboldt, Del Norte, Mendocino, Siskiyou and Trinity Counties, California” PDF File (322 KB). An Audit of the Five Counties, completed in 1998 by UCCE.
- “Policies and Procedures for Protecting Anadromous Salmonid Habitat in Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Trinity and Siskiyou Counties" PDF File (3.77 MB). Phase I Final Report on the Re-Assessment of County Land Use Regulations and Management, completed in 2008.
- After that Phase I review of policies, Phase II, which focused on a field review of policy and practice implementation was completed in 2011. A report of Phase II work that provides a summary of findings, conclusions, and corresponding recommendations is available: “Policies and Procedures for Protecting Anadromous Salmonid Habitat in Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Trinity and Siskiyou Counties. Field Assessment of Management Practices.” Recommendations are based on observations made in the first and second phases of the reassessment.”
5C Program Grant Reports:
Road Department Resources, Roads Manual, Low Impact to Hydrology (LITH) Information, and introductory Sediment Video:
- 5C Roads Manual: "A Water Quality and Stream Habitat Protection Manual for County Road Maintenance in Northwestern California Watersheds". The purpose of the manual is to provide a user-friendly, fish-friendly guide for county road maintenance staff and the implementation of improved road maintenance practices.
- 5C Program Low Impact to Hydrology Standards (LITH) Provides alternative road standards that are compliant with AASHTO standards and are designed to promote more natural drainage patterns .
- Video - "Addressing Road Related Sedimentation". an introduction to road-related erosion and its effects on water quality and salmonid populations.
- Basic Field Checklist for Field Work
- Treatment Implementation Checklist
- Regulatory and Permitting Information
- Photomonitoring Tips
- 2012 5C Roads Workshop Presentations
- 2012 5C Roads Manual Update (886 KB)
- 5C Project Summary for 2011-2012 (7,537 KB)
- Conner Creek Fish Passage Improvement Project, Innovations and BMPs (10,288 KB)
- Conservation Projects in Trinity County, presntation for 2012 Coho Confab (14,970 KB)
- Geological Constraints on Road Design (9,025 KB)
- Geosynthetics in Forestry Applications (6,002 KB)
- Preventing and Controlling Invasive Species (4,239 KB)
- Road Drainage Alternatives (9,673 KB)
- Roads and Wildlife: Impacts and Solutions (5,785 KB)
- Understanding Road Erosion with RUSLE (Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation) (552 KB)
Migration Barrier Inventory Reports & Fish Passage Information:
The 5C Fish Passage Improvement Program began with an inventory of migration barriers on County roads in each individual County. The inventories serve as guide for project implementation and prioritization.
DIRT Inventory Reports:
Sustainable Energy & Water Conservation:
County Ordinances & Land Use Development Standards:
5C Project Reports
For more information contact us.
Leaping Steelhead image at top of page courtesy of Jill K Duffy--all rights reserved.